Spotlight Sailor – BUCS Thomas F. Tetterton
BUCS Thomas F. Tetterton
Navy Reserve Spotlight Sailor
Thomas F. Tetterton
Senior Chief Petty Officer, Builder, Selected Reserve
Licensed Residential General Contractor & Developer
Senior Chief Tetterton has mobilized several times in his 14 year career. In 2003 he mobilized to Naval Construction Battalion Center Gulfport, MS to provide support to the Global War against Terrorism. Later in 2009 he mobilized to Al Asad, Iraq to serve as a project manager during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Between 2010 and 2013 he effectively administered a construction training project in Chesapeake, VA as the Project Officer in Charge that involved on job training for 500 Sailors from six Navy commands in all construction fields. In September 2014 he began a one year Individual Augmentee (IA) assignment with the joint command Special Operations Command Forward – West Africa, based out of Stuttgart Germany, as the Engineer Non-Commissioned Officer in Charge for the Engineering Department.
How have you benefited from your service in the Navy Reserve?
– Serving in the Navy Reserve has given me the opportunity to serve the country I have loved all my life while maintaining and improving my family life.
– Meeting new friends daily that remain friends and close a lifetime. A bond of friendship that no other organization can offer.
– Teaching back all the knowledge I gained over my life for the future generation to master, immerse and improve, and for them to continue to teach to future generations. This is the only way we can ensure a bright future for our society and way of life.
– Receiving great benefits for the family that are essential for a high quality of life.
– The Naval Reserve has offered and given me much more than I could have ever expected to receive.
Why did you choose to join the Navy Reserve?
It was purely an accident that I came across the Naval Reserve Force. I arrived early at the Fire Fighter training facility to complete my annual PRT and noticed Navy personnel mustering on the grinder for accountability measures. I stood there and watched what they were doing and later was approached by a few Sailors who introduced me to the Recruiter. When he started talking about the Naval Construction Force (Seabees) and all they accomplish it wasn’t difficult for him to convince me to join. Construction is a major foundation of my life. [Joining the Reserve was] one of best decisions I have made for my family and myself.
In my Navy…
In my Navy, everyone has the opportunity to become the best they want to become – with as much knowledge as they can carry – with never ending possibilities for improvement. The limit is only their imagination. Every single Sailor in my Navy carries pride and displays it daily within their command and community. In my Navy every Sailor is fulfilling their duty and sacrificing their life and lifestyle to ensure the impossible is made possible.